Contact Information 
District Offices
370 East Maple Avenue 
Suite 203
Langhorne, PA 19047
(215) 752-6750
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
 
Lower Southampton Township Complex
1500 Desire Avenue
Feasterville, PA 19053
Phone: (215) 942-4067
Monday through Thursday, Noon to 4:30 p.m. and by appointment

Capitol Office
52B East Wing
PO Box 202142
Harrisburg, PA 17120-2142
(717) 260-6140
Farry Bill to Require Carbon Monoxide Alarms in Homes Passes Committee
4/17/2013

HARRISBURG – The House Consumer Affairs Committee today approved legislation, introduced by Rep. Frank Farry (R-Bucks), which seeks to protect residents from the “silent killer” by creating standards for the use of carbon monoxide alarms in existing multi-family dwellings.

House Bill 968 would require multi-family dwellings with a fossil fuel-burning heater/appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage to be equipped with an operational, centrally located and approved carbon monoxide alarm.

“Just this week in Bucks County, a family of four reportedly lost their lives as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Farry, who also serves as chief of the Langhorne-Middletown Fire Company. “Without a detector, you don’t know when carbon monoxide is all around you. You can’t hear it. You can’t taste it. It’s odorless and, when suffering the effects, quite often, you feel like you’re getting the flu.”

Farry noted that his bill would also require the seller of a home to disclose if the dwelling has a carbon monoxide alarm on a required form known as the seller’s disclosure form.

“Families moving into a new home, who may not be fully aware of the home’s ventilation system or whether or not it’s in working order need to know if the house has a carbon monoxide alarm,” said Farry.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Pennsylvania is a national leader in fatalities as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. More than 30 states have enacted some type of carbon monoxide detector requirement.

“The cost of a carbon monoxide detector is insignificant when compared to the cost of a person’s life,” said Farry. “There is a proven relationship between carbon monoxide alarm laws and lower carbon monoxide poisoning fatality rates. Ultimately, this bill is about preventing people from being sickened or dying when preventable measures exist.”

House Bill 968 has garnered support from the Pennsylvania Association of Realtors, Pennsylvania Residential Owners Association, Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association, Safe Kids Pennsylvania and more. The bill now moves to the full House for consideration.

Representative Frank Farry
142nd
District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact:  Abbey Fosnot
717.260.6222
afosnot@pahousegop.com
RepFarry.com
Share |